Board for Certification of Genealogists® Provides Resources During Pandemic, released 13 August 2020
The current pandemic has brought both challenges and opportunities for those preparing a portfolio for submission to the Board for Certification of Genealogists. Many genealogists have taken advantage of virtual conferences and institutes without the need or expense of travel. For some, staying home has afforded dedicated time to research and write with fewer outside obligations and distractions. Some have successfully ordered records from repositories offering that service, but others have been unable to access records from completely closed repositories.
To fully support candidates “on the clock,” BCG has taken the following steps:
- On March 31, 2020, granted a 60-day extension to all applicants and associates with renewals due this year.
- Provided guidance on producing a successful portfolio during this time in the May 2020 issue of BCG’s OnBoard newsletter in an article written by BCG Trustee Scott Wilds, CG®, titled “Portfolios in a Time of Limited Access.”
- Posted additional portfolio work samples on its website https://bcgcertification.org.
- Presented an online certification seminar on August 7, 2020, free for anyone to watch at Legacy Family Tree webinars https://familytreewebinars.com/download.php?webinar_id=1514.
- Hosted virtual town halls at each of the summer genealogy institutes to answer applicants’ questions.
- Produced a new video tour of the BCG website and the application process at https://bcgcertification.org/website-tour/.
BCG recognizes that some applicants continue to experience challenges due to pandemic-related illness, finances, and stress. Any applicant can apply for a one-year extension to complete a portfolio; however, BCG is also willing to address unique situations with individual solutions. An applicant who has experienced a specific challenge due to the pandemic may request a specific accommodation. Please email BCG Executive Director Rebecca Koford at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know of your situation. Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
The words Certified Genealogist and letters CG are registered certification marks, and the designations CGL and Certified Genealogical Lecturer are service marks of the Board for Certification of Genealogists®, used under license by board certificants after periodic evaluation.