Putting Skills to Work workshop, Tuesday, 1 May 2018
Tom Jones and Connie Lenzen will teach the BCG Education Fund Workshop on Tuesday, 1 May 2018, prior to the National Genealogical Society (NGS) 2018 Family History Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
The registration fee of $110 includes lunch, hands-on exercises, syllabus, handouts and active class participation. NGS Conference registration is not required. Registration is through the NGS Conference registration site at http://conference.ngsgenealogy.org/ (after 1 December 2017).
Thomas W. Jones, PhD, CG, CGL, FASG, FNGS, FUGA, will present “Citing All Kinds of Online Sources” in which participants will learn citation implications for online content and source-image pairings through hands-on activities.
Through hands-on activities, participants will learn the citation implications for each of three kinds of online content and four kinds of source-image pairings. Discussion includes understanding what sources are and the five basic questions citations must answer.
Tom, award-winning genealogical author, educator, and researcher, wrote Mastering Genealogical Proof and Mastering Genealogical Documentation. He has coedited the National Genealogical Society Quarterly since 2002.
(Photo by Shelley Lewis.)
Connie Lenzen, CG, will instruct on “Planning and Executing Reasonably Exhaustive Research; or, How To Ensure a Successful Hunt.”
Effective genealogy begins with a plan. Group practice will make creating a research plan and then executing it, all with genealogy standards, less daunting. Participants will go away with new tools that will help them break down “brick walls.”
Connie Lenzen, CG, is past president of the Board for Certification of Genealogists, former NGS director, current academic professional in Boston University’s online genealogy program.
Roster of Putting Skills To Work Instructors
- Mary McCampbell Bell, CG. “Abstracting Records: Land Records,” 2003, 2004. “Abstracting Documents,” 2007.
- Jeanne Larzalere Bloom, CG. “Spreadsheets 201: Manipulating Data to Dismantle Brick Walls,” 2016.
- Melinde Lutz Byrne, CG, FASG. “Editor’s Ink: Writing for Genealogical Journals,” 2012.
- Victor S. Dunn, CG. “I Rest My Case: Constructing a Convincing Proof Argument,” 2014.
- Ann Carter Fleming, CG, CGL. “Writing Family History: Style, Index, and More,” 2009.
- Kay Haviland Freilich, CG, CGL, FNGS. “Planning Research,” 2006. “Writing the Ancestral Story,” 2009.
- Marty Hiatt, CG. “Writing Reports,” 2006. “Arguing: Writing Proof Summaries,” 2007.
- Thomas W. Jones, Ph.D., CG, CGL, FASG, FNGS, FUGA. “Genealogical Documentation: What, Why, and How,” 2008. “Editing Your Own and Others’ Genealogical Writing,” 2012.
- Connie Lenzen, CG. “Historical Context: More Than A Timeline,” 2013.
- Barbara Vines Little, CG, FNGS, FVGS. “Working with Documents: From Discovery to What Comes Next,” 2011.
- Barbara J. Mathews, CG. “Writing Genealogical Narratives,” 2006. “Evidence Evaluation,” 2008. “Evidence Analysis, Correlation, and Resolution: The Heart of the Genealogical Proof Standard.” 2015.
- David McDonald, D.Min., CG. “Reach for the Power Tools: Transcriptions & Abstractions,” 2016.
- Sharon Tate Moody, CG. “In the Law Library: A Workshop on Legal Research for Genealogists,” 2011. “Passing Out The Property: A Workshop on the Probate Process,” 2014.
- Nancy A. Peters, CG. “Make Your Case: Correlating Evidence to Solve Genealogical Problems,” 2017.
- Elissa Scalise Powell, CG, CGL. “Tested Strategies for Efficient Research Reports.” 2015.
- Beverly Rice, CG. “The Path To Change And A Better Life—Migration,” 2013.
- Christine Rose, CG, CGL, FASG. “Abstracting Records for Accuracy and Success,” 2004, 2005.
- Sara A. Scribner, CG. “Make Your Case: Constructing and Writing Proof Discussions,” 2017.
- Kip Sperry, CG. “Reading Early Handwriting,” 2010.
- Pamela Boyer Sayre, CG, CGL. “Synchronized Research and Reporting,” 2010.
- Paula Stuart-Warren, CG, FMGS, FUGA. “Planning Research,” 2006.
Roster of Special Workshop Instructors
- Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL. “Genetic Genealogy: Effective Analysis and Correlation of DNA Test Results.” 2015.